Marshall Plan Scholarship
The Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation offers scholarships for academic exchanges between students at US and Austrian universities aiming at improving Austrian-American relations in the spirit of the Marshall Plan and to strengthen scholarly and scientific co-operations.
The scholarship is awarded to students at US universities conducting research for their bachelor, master or PhD thesis at University of Graz, or students of University of Graz conducting research at a US institution of higher education.
Students nominated for the MPS Program are exempt from paying tuition fees at University of Graz for the period of their research. The Austrian Student Union Fee has to be paid despite being exempt from paying tuition fees.
Please find further information on the MPS Program >>here<<.
DURATION OF STAY AND SCHOLARSHIP
- Min. 3 months
- EUR 4.000 - 10.000 depending on duration of stay
Only Students from US partner universities of University of Graz interested in conducting part of their research for their bachelor, master or PhD thesis at University of Graz are eligible candidates. Students are invited to apply if they are enrolled in a field of study at their home university that corresponds to one of the study fields at University of Graz which are open for Marshall Plan-applicants.
Students interested in applying must:
Students wishing to apply for a Marshall Plan scholarship at University of Graz must be nominated by the international office of their home university via e-mail providing the following details:
- Name of the student according to passport
- Student’s email address
- Level and field of study at the home university
- intended exchange period at University of Graz
Upon nomination students will be contacted with further instructions on the application process.
At the time of their application, students already need to have their letter of acceptance by their host university /their supervising professor.
All documents must be provided in English!
- Completed and signed application form >>template<<
- Tabular CV / resume (incl. publications if any) signed by applicant
- Detailed research proposal for the intended research stay at University of Graz (hard copy and PDF-file) >>template<<
- title of research project
- short description of the research agenda
- detailed description of the research problem incl. research questions
- general objective/goals
- methodology, research approach, workflow
- relevance, expected results and broader impact of research projec
- 2 letters of recommendation by professors at the home university, one of which must be provided by the supervisor of the thesis at the home university. The letters must be included in the application in sealed envelopes.
- Proof of enrollment at home university incl. information on level and field of study issued by the admissions office of the home university
- Official transcript of records
- Letter of supervision signed by a professor at University of Graz indicating the exact duration of stay >>template<<
- Passport copy
Please note that in the context of academic evaluation and admissions check additional documents about previous degrees (in case of master or PhD applications) might be requested.
Complete set of application documents must be sent to christa.grassauer(at)uni-graz.at.
Original paper version of the application must also reach the office by the deadline indicated below!
- 19 March 2020 for research stays starting on 31 July 2020 (earliest possible start)
- 12 October 2020 for research stays starting on 31 January 2021 (earliest possible start)
Incomplete application will not be considered.
TO DOs - after being granted the scholarship
After being granted a Marshall Plan scholarship candidates must
- apply for a visa or residence permit (depending on duration of stay)
- provide a copy of sufficient health insurance coverage incl. medical evacuation and repatriation as well as sufficient liability insurance for the full duration of your stay in Graz. Please note that the health insurance must meet the requirements of the visa or residence permit (for detailed information please contact Austrian embassy)
- make arrangements for their accommodation in Graz (contacts for housing arrangements: dorms in Graz, Austrian exchange service Graz)
An acceptance letter will be provided by the program contact person at University of Graz along with instructions concerning visa / residence permit application procedures.
Students will receive the first installment of the Marshall Plan Scholarship after presenting their visa or residence permit and the insurance policy to incoming.exchange(at)uni-graz.at.
Any form of change in regards to the contract signed with the Marshallplan Foundation (e.g. dates of research stay, changes to title of research project, etc.) must be communicated to the Office of International Relations immediately. The Office will present the request for changes to the Marshall Plan Foundation for them to take a final decision. Be aware that any changes not confirmed by the Marshallplan Foundation might result in financial consequences for the grantee.
TO DOs - after finishing your research period at University of Graz
3 months after finishing your stay at University of Graz you must hand in to incoming.exchange(at)uni-graz.at:
- Final Report = Research Paper (min. 7,500 words, excl. title page, table of contents and references) >>template<<
- Field Report (max. 2 pages) >>template<<
- Confirmation of stay issued by the supervisor at the University of Graz incl. exact duration of stay according to the Marshall Plan application (official letter head and signature, emails or scans are not accepted)
- Assessment of the research paper and the research undertaken in the context of the Marshall Plan Scholarship by the thesis supervisor at the home university (official letter head and signature and stamp)
Paper presentation deadline: All applicants agree to their research paper being published on the website of the Marshall Plan Foundation. It is possible to apply for a retention period for the research paper to be published at later date under the following conditions:
- Retention period of up to 3 yrs retention requested: The request must be accompanied by a signed statement by the student as well as a signed statement by the supervisor at University of Graz on official university letter head stating the duration of the requested data retention period and the reasons why this is necessary.
- Retention period of more than 3 yrs retention requested: The request must be accompanied by a signed statement by the student as well as a signed statement by the supervisor at University of Graz on official university letter head stating the duration of the requested data retention period and the reasons why this is necessary. Furthermore, the student must provide a 1.000 word summary (excl. Title page, content page and references) for immediate publication on the website of the Marshall Plan Foundation.
KontaktMag. Christa Grassauer
Mo - Fr von 9.30 - 12, Mi von 13 - 15 Uhr
(vorlesungsfreie Zeiten: Mo - Do von 10 - 12 Uhr)
und nach telefonischer Vereinbarung