End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Exchange students

A warm welcome to the University of Graz!

On this website, exchange students can find further information about planning and realizing their stay abroad at the University of Graz.

Why study at Uni Graz?

  • comprehensive public university with a strong international profile
  • innovative interdisciplinary research and research-based teaching
  • student-friendly campus
  • charming 'student town' in the heart of Europe
  • variety of courses available in English
  • strong support network for exchange students
  • buddy programme for exchange students
  • German language courses offered before and during the semester

General information

Graz on the internet: 
www.graz.at | www.stadt-graz.at | www.graztourismus.at

Tip: Graz Tourist Information has an event calendar with details of events and festivals in Graz!

Museums & attractions
Graz has many museums, cultural centres and exhibition venues that are well worth a visit. A guide to all the museums in Graz is available from the Graz tourist information office.

Theatre & concerts

Cinemas & cultural institutions
German and English language cinemas in Graz are listed, with their programmes, under www.uncut.at/graz/ 

Cultural institutions such as the Institut Culturel Franco-Autrichien or Società Dante Alighieri offer films, videos, journals and books in French or Italian.

Shopping & opening hours
Most shops are open Monday to Saturday (except public holidays) from 7 am to 8 pm. Exceptions include supermarkets, and shops at Graz main station and Graz-Thalerhof airport, which are also open on Sundays and public holidays. Please note that not all shops, cafés and restaurants accept card payments; cash may be required.

The climate in Graz is continental, so winters are cold (down to minus 15°C), and summers are hot (around 30°C). Homes and student residences are well insulated, with central heating to ensure indoor temperatures remain comfortable. For information on the current weather situation, please see wetter.orf.at 

Are you a student in the any of the following programmes: Erasmus+, Erasmus+ International, Joint Study, AEN, MAUI, REARI-RJ, Utrecht Network, SEN, Go Styria, CEEPUS, Joint Degree or Best of South-East?
You will need to find suitable accommodation for yourself. There is some general information below on finding accommodation.

Are you a student in any of the following programmes: ISEP, Hendrix and High Point University?
For students in these programmes, our office arranges accommodation in a student residence and covers the rental costs. There is a limited number of single rooms, which are allocated on a “first come, first served” basis. You will need to pay the security deposit yourself.


 Student Residences

  • Rental period: Winter semester: 15 September – 15 February / Summer semester: 15 February – 15 July (Minimum rental period is generally one semester!)
  • Rental costs: variable, depending on the individual room and residence, starting around 250 euros per month
  • Security deposit: 2 months’ rent
    This will be returned at the end of your stay, providing you leave the room as you found it (minus a cleaning fee, in the case of OeAD accommodation).
  • Registration deadlines for student residences are published on the relevant website for each one. Please note that all student residences in Graz accommodate both male and female students.
  • Arrangements for accommodation and payment vary between different exchange programmes: you will receive details from the relevant office as soon as allocations are complete. Please ensure your payment is received on time, as otherwise your accommodation cannot be guaranteed, and your room will be reallocated to someone else!



Private homes / shared accommodation
If you would prefer shared accommodation in an apartment or house with other people, there is a selection of websites here where rooms/apartments are advertised.

Selected links:


Youth hostels

  • “JUFA Graz City” is a hotel/hostel for young people which offers fully modernised rooms of a high standard; it is located near the main station in Graz: further information
  • “A&O Hostel Graz Hauptbahnhof” has modern single, double and family rooms. It is 100m from the main station: further information

Please see https://studyinaustria.at/en/living/living-costs/ for details.

 Note: These sample expenses frequently apply for Vienna (capital) and are therefore higher than in other cities/regions!

If you are spending the summer semester in Graz, we recommend a “tick vaccination” to protect you against diseases such as meningitis, tick-borne encephalitis (TBE). For effective protection you need two vaccinations: the first in February and a second one 3-4 weeks later. Further information: vaccinations in Graz (German only)

If you have to take prescription medications, please bring a prescription with you, and a statement from your doctor explaining why you need to take this medication. To be on the safe side, you should bring an appropriate quantity with you to last for the full duration of your mobility period. Prescription and non-prescription medications can be obtained from pharmacies.

Seeing a doctor in Graz
If you feel unwell or have general medical questions you can see a general practitioner/physician. For more specialised medical concerns there are also specialist doctors available whom you can see on referral from a general practitioner, or by making an appointment independently.

For (life-threatening) emergencies or accidents there are numerous hospitals: www.kages.at 

See below for further information on insurance.

We recommend that you register for the buddy programme (https://esn.htugraz.at/information/mentorsystem) – please note the registration deadlines!

What is a buddy?
A “buddy” is an Austrian student who will help you to get settled in Graz. Your buddy can meet you at the airport or station in Graz. If you do not register in advance for the buddy programme, you will have to manage your arrival and key collection yourself! Please remember that all buddies are unpaid volunteers with an interest in intercultural exchange, who will be supporting you in their own free time. Please try to plan your arrival in Graz for a weekday, during daytime hours. Please let your accommodation provider (student residence or landlord/landlady) know when you will be arriving.

Make use of the advance registration service for your ESNcard (Erasmus Student Network identity card) so that you can collect it at the Orientation session during the Welcome Week. The ESNcard entitles you to various discounts, for example on ESN events and excursions, and with cooperation partners throughout Europe.

Preparing for the mobility period

Study-related matters

Once you have been nominated by your home university for a mobility period at the University of Graz, you also need to submit an application to us within the specified deadline.


  Winter semester Summer semester
Semester dates Early October to late January Early March to early July
Welcome Weeks

Welcome Week 1: early September

Welcome Week 2: mid September

Welcome Week: mid February

Please note: participation in a Welcome Week is mandatory – please do not arrange any other commitments during the information sessions!

The University of Graz is the second-largest university in Austria, with over 30,000 students and more than 120 different fields of study at all levels (bachelor’s, master’s, diploma and doctorate).

General information on planning

  • The University of Graz uses the ECTS credit points system
  • Organising your studies through UNIGRAZonline https://online.uni-graz.at 
  • The course directory is accessible online through UNIGRAZonline; you also need to use this system to register for courses and exams. The course directory for the following academic year is always available from July 
  • Course registration takes place after you arrive in Graz (September/February)
    Academic Advisors in Graz will meet with you to discuss your choice of courses and make recommendations. Find out if there are any specific requirements from your home university, and where relevant, bring course descriptions with you 
  • Further explanation about the types of courses available at the University of Graz is available here 

Before you set off for Graz

  • Erasmus+ / Erasmus+ International students complete a Learning Agreement before travelling and have it signed at the home university.
  • Students nominated under other mobility programmes should, before travelling, find out from their home university about the procedure there for recognition of courses taken at the University of Graz.

 Amendments to your course selections can still be made during Welcome Week (September/February). You will have a chance to raise questions on the academic content of courses with the Academic Advisors at the University of Graz. Further information on registering for courses and on making appointments with the Academic Advisors at the University of Graz will be provided during Welcome Week.

Intensive German language courses
Three-week intensive German language courses at all levels are offered before the start of each semester (September and February). Participation in these courses is voluntary, but is strongly recommended as linguistic and cultural preparation for your exchange period in Graz. For further information on course dates, costs and registration, please see the treffpunkt sprachen website.

Note: if you are planning to attend one of these intensive German language courses, you will need to arrive in Graz at the beginning of September/February!

German language courses during the semester
Treffpunkt sprachen also offers German language courses during the semester – details are available directly before the beginning of each semester on the treffpunkt sprachen website.

Administrative matters

  • Your arrival date will depend on whether or not you are taking an intensive German language course before the beginning of the semester
  • Participation in Welcome Week is mandatory for all exchange students at the beginning of their mobility period!
    You have already registered for one of the Welcome Weeks as part the application process for the University of Graz. Please make sure you arrive in Graz at the latest by the beginning of the Welcome Week that you have selected online. Further information on Welcome Week is available below on this website.
  • If you arrive before your room in a student residence is available, you will need to arrange temporary accommodation in advance, e.g. in the Jugend- und Familiengästehaus Graz or another hotel or apartment

On this website you can find information about the situation with Covid-19 at the University of Graz and the traffic light system.

Additionally, we have prepared an information website on the entry situation & Covid-19 for international arrivals, where you can find practical advice for (exchange) students and links to the official information provided by the respective ministries.

A) Visa for one-semester mobility period (1 semester, up to 6 months)
Whether or not you need a visa for your mobility period at the University of Graz depends on your nationality status. Students with a passport from an EU/EEA country do not need a visa for a mobility period at the University of Graz. Please let us know if you have dual citizenship!

  • Third country nationals with a valid “student” residence permit from an EU member state:
    Check with the Austrian Embassy in Ljubljana or Bratislava or the Austrian General Consulate in Munich whether this document covers your full stay at Uni Graz or whether you will need to apply for an Austrian visa / residence permit. Make sure you include all relevant information about yourself and your planned stay at Uni Graz along with scans of all relevant documents, when contacting the Austrian representations. In case an additional application for an Austrian visa/residence permit is necessary, those three institutions will also be able to advise you on the relevant process.
    Also inform your contact person at Uni Graz of your residence permit in another EU member state – send along the scan of the document.
  • All other third country nationals:
    Applying for a visa at the Austrian embassy or consulate in your country of origin. For general information on applying for a visa, and the documents required, see this pagePlease contact the relevant authority for further information!


 B) “Student” residence permit for a one-year mobility period (2 semesters)
Whether or not you need a residence permit for your mobility period at the University of Graz depends on your nationality status. Students with a passport from an EU/EEA country do not need a residence permit for a mobility period at the University of Graz. Please let us know if you have dual citizenship!


Citizens of the EU and EEA can enter Austria without a visa and do not need a visa or residence permit for a mobility period. A travel document (passport or personal identity card) is all you need. After you arrive, there are still a few administrative steps to be completed (registering your residence ("Meldezettel"); EU/EEA registration certificate) – further information is available below on this page, or in person during Welcome Week.

EU/EEA citizens
can use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their home countries, as this is also valid in Austria. Please check with your insurance provider at home about benefits and how to use the insurance abroad.

Non-EU/EEA citizens completing a one-semester mobility period (up to 6 months)
must arrange appropriate insurance for themselves that fulfils the visa requirements. Please contact the relevant Austrian embassy or consulate in your home country.

Non-EU/EEA citizens completing a one-year mobility period
must arrange appropriate Austrian health insurance (= ÖKG Student insurance) shortly after arrival. We will help you with this during Welcome Week. 

  • Costs: approx. 61 euros per month, paid monthly using a payment slip (bill) or by direct debit from an (Austrian) account; the E-card costs 11.70 euros (one-time charge). (Last updated: January 2019)
  • Benefits: Cost of treatment by medical practitioners, including ophthalmology and dental care (except: glasses, contact lenses, dentures)
  • Validity: EU/EEA countries, Switzerland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey
    Before travelling to these countries you must obtain an appropriate holiday insurance certificate/replacement treatment certificate (“Ersatzbehandlungsschein”) for your destination country, from Austrian Health Insurance (ÖGK) and take this with you when you travel.

    ÖGK Insurance coverage starts once the complete insurance application has been handed in and processed. Note also that ÖGK does not cover medical evacuation and repatriation.

    Students are responsible for purchasing adequate insurance coverage for: travel to Graz, the first month in Graz, trips to countries not listed above, any period of time after the end of the program including the return trip as well as medical evacuation and repatriation (not included in ÖGK insurance) for the full duration of stay.

Important note for students needing psychological care: Please contact the psychological counselling service three months before your mobility period begins, to arrange appointments for your mobility period. For further information and contact details: www.studierendenberatung.at

  • Travel documents (particularly your passport1/identity card)
  • Where required: visa
  • Insurance card / evidence of valid insurance
    + details of what to do if you need to make an insurance claim
  • UNIGRAZCard if you already have it
  • Where required: vaccination record and any medications you take regularly
    For guidance on bringing medications with you, please contact the Austrian embassy!
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens, where required: additional documents for your settlement/residence permit, if you are staying in Graz for a whole academic year
  • Contact details for your buddy and your accommodation provider

1 Non-EU/EEA citizens who have dual citizenship use their EU/EEA passport or identity card to enter Austria, and for any further administrative procedures. This means that your EU/EEA nationality is used for your mobility period and you do not need a visa or residence permit.

Study-related documents:

  • Erasmus+, Erasmus+ International students: Learning Agreement
  • List of courses you would like to take at the University of Graz

University-related abbreviations & links


Office of International Relations


Erasmus Student Network (Uni Graz section)


Faculty of Art and Humanities


Faculty of Natural Sciences


Austrian Agency for International Mobility and Cooperation in Education, Science and Research


Austrian National Union of Students


The building where the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences are based


Faculty of Law


Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences


Faculty of Catholic Theology


University Library Graz


Faculty of Environmental, Regional and Educational Sciences


University Sports Centre

WS / SoSe

Winter semester / summer semester

Other contacts and abbreviations


Holding Graz Linien:
Runs public transport in Graz


Regional hospital

Psychological counselling for students

Dreihackengasse 3, 8020 Graz
Psychological counselling for students (appointments must be made in advance)


Austrian Health Insurance:
Austrian social insurance provider; also offers insurance designed for students


Austrian railways

Important telephone numbers

European emergency call number
(cross-border emergency helpline)








Emergency doctor service



Arriving in Graz & Beginning your mobility period

Study-related matters

What happens during Welcome Week?

  • Enrolment at the University of Graz
  • Registration with ÖGK Student Health Insurance
  • Information about administrative procedures to be completed following your arrival in Graz
  • Help with applying for your residence permit (for non-EU/EEA citizens)
  • Information about UNIGRAZonline: registering for courses and examinations
  • Meetings with Academic Advisors to discuss course selection and other academic matters

Participation in Welcome Week is mandatory for all exchange students! 

>> Download: dates for the summer semster 2021

>> Download: dates for the winter semester 2021/22


>> Download: COVID19 infosheet


You will be allocated appropriate academic advisors for your field(s) of study. During Welcome Week you can meet with your academic advisors and discuss your course selections with them. We recommend that you attend the meetings arranged for you, bringing a study plan with all the courses you are interested in, and any other questions you may have. Once you have met with the academic advisors you can register online for your courses. 


Note for students who are staying for two semesters:
You will also need to register online for all your second-semester courses. Please contact the relevant academic advisor for the subject area if you also need advice on your choice of courses for the second semester.

If you want to take courses at one of the other universities in Graz during your mobility period, you will need to enrol there as a co-registered student.

At Graz University of Technology 

  1. Pre-registration online:
    – Select F 990 – Besuch einzelner Lehrveranstaltungen (“attend individual courses”) as your subject area.
  2. Go to Student Services (Studienservice) at Graz University of Technology, Rechbauerstrasse 12, 8010 Graz, taking with you:
    – Your enrolment sheet (printed from UNIGRAZonline)

At the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz

  1. Pre-registration online (https://online.kug.ac.at/KUGonline)
  2. Go to the Welcome Center at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Lichtenfelsgasse 21, ground floor, 8010 Graz and collect a green folder.
  3. Go to the Office of Academic Affairs > Enrolment/co-registration, University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Leonhardstraße 15, Palais Meran, ground floor, room 16, 8010 Graz.

At the Medical University of Graz

  1. Pre-registration online
  2. Go to the Studium (“Study Programme”) department – Medical University of Graz, Harrachgasse 21, 2nd floor, 8010 Graz, taking with you:
    – Your enrolment sheet (printed from UNIGRAZonline) and UNIGRAZCard.

University Library Graz (UB) Key points at a glance
With over 3.5 million information media items, the University Library is one of the biggest cultural and educational institutions in Styria, and offers excellent research facilities. There is no charge for borrowing books. Your UNIGRAZCard (student ID card) also entitles you to use the services of the University Library. In addition to the University Library, you can also use the subject libraries within institutes and faculties, and the resources of the State Library of Styria.

If you have questions about your Uni Graz account or any technical issues, please contact the IT team!

University Sports Centre (USI)


treffpunkt sprachen

For over ten years now treffpunkt sprachen has provided a range of professionally supervised language courses for students, staff and external students, making an important contribution to the internationalisation of the University of Graz. The two-way relationship between its teaching and the research areas of plurilingualism and teaching methodology maximises the potential of the existing synergies, promotes the exchange of expertise between institutes and faculties, and supports the conceptualisation and implementation of research projects whose findings are then used to inform teaching methodology.

Confucius Institute The Confucius Institute at the University of Graz will be integrated into the existing structures of treffpunkt sprachen – Centre for Language, Plurilingualism and Didactics. In addition to teaching languages and cultural topics, the Confucius Institute focuses on specific issues in teaching & research, and promotes collaboration with other educational institutions, individuals and groups with a particular interest in China, from all areas of society, politics and commerce. The Confucius Institute in Graz is only the second institution of its kind in Austria, following the existing Confucius Institute in Vienna. Amongst other things the Confucius Institute offers practice-oriented Chinese language courses for students from both philological and non-philological fields of study, and language courses for university staff.
DocService The DocService provides information, advice and support to all those interested in doctoral programmes University of Graz. In addition to its website and the course programme it also offers free personal consultations.
Disability Resource Centre (ZIS) The University of Graz promotes equal rights and access to its courses for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. Support arrangements focus on independent living and equality in all areas of life for people with disabilities. The central advice and contact point is the Disability Resource Centre (ZIS). The Centre’s services are primarily designed to support people with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses who are studying or planning to study at the University of Graz. It also provides advice and support for university employees working with students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses.
Research Management The Office of Research Management and Service at the University of Graz is the contact point for researchers at the university. It focuses on services in connection with research and guidance for projects, from the initial idea to completion, including evaluation of research findings. As a professional services unit within the University of Graz it functions as the interface between the university and national and international research institutions, industry and other research institutions
Welcome Center The Welcome Center is the central administrative and advice service for international researchers and for students from other countries interested in a degree at the University of Graz.

The University Sports Centre (USI) offers reasonably-priced courses (from aerobics to zumba) for students and organises the annual “Kleeblattlauf”, a relay race for students, graduates and staff at all four Graz universities. A must for sports fans! 

You can register for one or more sports courses in person or online :

  • To register in person, go to the Sports Centre office in the main building at the University of Graz at the specified times
  • To register online, you need to register first in MY USI DATA (at least one day before the start of online registration for sports courses), so that you will be able to complete this. Registration dates and times are shown here.

For further questions on courses or registration please contact the University Sports Centre directly.

Please note that sports centre courses do not appear on your transcript, since they are not regarded as academic courses, and for this reason no credit points are awarded for these courses.

Administrative matters

Within 3 days of moving into your accommodation you must register your residential address in Graz. This residence registration is mandatory! In student residences the form you need to use for this is generally included in the welcome pack.

What you need to do:

  1. Complete the form (for help with translation to/from other languages, e.g. English, see end of the City of Graz website)
  2. Have the form signed by your landlord/landlady or the manager of your hall of residence
  3. Add your own signature
  4. Hand it in at the City of Graz service point (no appointment needed) 
    Documents required: registration form (signed) and passport or identity card
  5. Confirmation of residence registration will be printed straight away by a staff member at the service point
  6. Please bring your confirmation of residence registration with you to Welcome Week

See also: City of Graz website (German only)

For EU/EEA citizens who plan to stay in Austria for longer than 3 months it is also mandatory to apply for a registration certificate, as well as registering your residence. This costs around 30 euros and must be completed within 4 months of registering your place of residence. If you do not apply within this 4-month period, you will be fined up to 250 euros for an administrative offence! When you leave Austria, you must de-register.

Documents required:

  • Application form
  • Passport or identity card (original + copy)
  • Confirmation of acceptance by the University of Graz (record of studies "Studienblatt" and confirmation of registration "Studienbestätigung": print out from UNIGRAZonline)
  • Proof of accommodation:
    • Residence registration form / “Meldezettel
    • Rental agreement
  • Proof of adequate health insurance
  • Proof of adequate financial support (e.g. bank statements, Erasmus+ grant, savings record etc.)

Government offices of the Province of Styria, department 3 
Paulustorgasse 4, 8010 Graz

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 12.30 pm and on Tuesdays also from 12.30 to 14.00

We recommend that all students open an Austrian bank account, so that they can make payments to their student residence and for other purposes. It is up to you which bank you choose for your account. If you will be receiving a scholarship from the University of Graz, you must open an Austrian account. Grant payments cannot be sent to a non-Austrian account! 

Documents needed to open a bank account:

  • Residence registration form / “Meldezettel”
  • Passport
  • where relevant, confirmation of your mobility exchange status, e.g. a letter of acceptance, written confirmation for your visa / residence permit
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens: where applicable visa / residence permit 

Once you have opened an account, please ask the bank for a printout of all the key bank data (IBAN, SWIFT/BIC, name of bank etc.).


If you have been awarded a scholarship grant from the University of Graz, complete the relevant steps in the Mobility-Online workflow.

Payments for January cannot be made in December and are therefore paid in the first half of January. Please allow for this in your budget planning!

Students of the four universities in Graz can buy a student season ticket for 4,5 or 6 months at a special price, if they are aged 26 or younger. If you live in Graz, this ticket is valid for all public transport (bus, train, tram) in tariff zone 1 (Graz area, including airport). Students can also apply for a transport voucher (Mobilitätsscheckfrom the City of Graz, to receive the student season ticket at a lower price.

>>>For further details see the website of Holding Graz Linien

What documents do I need?

  • Application form through UNIGRAZonline on your business card (after logging in, see: “Registration documents”
  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Passport photo or existing card, if you have one
  • Passport or identity card 

Students who are staying for a whole academic year:
If you are spending the whole academic year in Graz and are resident within the City of Graz, it may be cheaper in some cases to buy an annual transportation pass (Jahreskarte Graz). This is valid for 365 days from the date of purchase, see also the website of Holding Graz Linien.


During your mobility period at the University of Graz

If you are spending two semesters at the University of Graz (one-year mobility), you need to re-register. To re-register at the University of Graz you need to pay your Austrian Students’ Union fee on time. If you do not, you will not be able to sit any exams or take any further courses, and you will be automatically exmatriculated. 

Payment deadlines: 

  • 31 October for the winter semester
  • 31 March for the summer semester

How to re-register:

  • Step 1: pay your Austrian Students’ Union fee by credit card or bank transfer: further details are available in your UNIGRAZonline account under “Tuition fees”.
  • Step 2: approximately one week after payment you will be able to renew your UNIGRAZCard for the second semester at one of the ServicePoints on campus.

ISEP/Hendrix/HighPoint students submit confirmation of payment to the Office of International Relations and the Students’ Union fee will then be refunded to your Austrian bank account.

If you originally planned a one-semester mobility period, but would like to extend your stay, please contact your home university, and also get in contact with our office.

Further information:

  • You need to re-register: pay your fee for the Austrian Students' Union
  • Accommodation: ISEP, Hendrix and High Point University students need to contact the relevant person in our office to find out if it is possible to extend your stay in your accommodation.
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens:
    • must apply for and collect a residence permit before their present permit expires, in order to be legally permitted to stay in Austria for longer than 6 months!
    • must arrange appropriate health insurance in order to obtain a residence permit
  • Other insurances must also be extended where applicable

Your transcript of records is only signed digitally and is not produced in paper form. Students with an active UNIGRAZonline account can download the officially signed record for themselves. You need to download this record while your UNIGRAZonline account is still active! No one else can access this record! 

  • If your mobility period ends in January, the account remains active until the end of March
  • If your mobility period ends in June, your account remains active until the end of October

Do I need any other confirmation for my Learning Agreement (Erasmus+ / Erasmus+ International)?
No, the transcript replaces the last page of your Learning Agreement.

Where can I find my transcript / academic record?
>>>See here for instructions on downloading the transcript/academic record

What else do I need to show my home university?
Make sure you include the covering letter provided by our office with your transcript. >>>Download cover letter for transcript

How can the transcript be checked for authenticity?
>>>See our guidance here | >>>Link to check authenticity

What should I do if I have taken courses at more than one university?
Please request the appropriate transcript from each university. Remember to give the correct postal address to which the transcript should be sent. Not all universities have converted to a digitally signed transcript system yet. You can send your request to the following departments:

What do I need to consider?
Assessment of courses for which you have to write an essay/seminar paper may take longer. Please note that assessment and grading must be completed before the end of the enrolment period – so make sure you hand in your work early enough. German language courses provided by treffpunkt sprachen are automatically included in the transcript.

When you leave

We hope that you have enjoyed a memorable semester or academic year in Graz, from both a personal and an academic perspective. We wish you success for your rest of your studies and your professional career.

P.S. It’s good to share: tell your friends and colleagues about your time in Graz! :-)

  • Accommodation:
    Make sure that your student residence in particular knows your departure date as early as possible, and arrange a time for your room check, so that your security deposit can be returned to you.
  • De-register your residential address with the City of Graz:
    Just as you registered your residential address, you also need to de-register. 
    • Complete the form, sign it and bring your passport with you.
    • To de-register you do not need a signature from your student residence or landlord/landlady. 
    • You can find your ZMR number (residential registration number) on your registration confirmation
    • Please place a cross in the YES box at the question “Are you leaving the country?”
  • ÖGK-Insurance, Josef-Pongratz-Platz 1: On the same day, you also need to deregister from your ÖGK-insurance. Please complete our sample letter with your personal information. It is best if you take the note to the insurance company yourself.

  • Additional de-registration for EU/EEA citizens:
    By e-mail to maria.janisch(at)stmk.gv.at  or gerald.nussbaum(at)stmk.gv.at
    If you were given a document confirming your registration as an EU citizen, you must return this before you leave the country.
  • Returning your student residence permit – for non-EU/EEA citizens:
    After you have arrived back in your home country, send your residence card by post to the responsible department in Graz. Important: it is illegal to keep the card – even if it has expired!

    Government offices of the Province of Styria
    Department 3 – Administrative and internal affairs, Office for Residence (Verfassung und Inneres, Referat für Aufenthaltswesen)
    Paulustorgasse 4, 8010 Graz
  • Close your accounts (e.g. bank, phones, ...)

Important notice: due to the current situation with Covid-19, processes have changed. Please follow the instructions we've provided you with via email!

Students who have applied through Mobility-Online can request a Confirmation of Departure for download by contacting us, but not more than 5 days before the departure. In case you need an original signature, please come to our office personally no more than 5 days before your departure.

Please also find out from your home university whether there are any other documents you need after your mobility period in Graz.


Your feedback is very important to us – we are always striving to improve our services and we can only do that with help from the comments and feedback from our former students. Thank you in advance for taking the time to do this!

>>>Online Survey

To top


As of: March 2020

The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.

Opening hours & address

Our address:
Office of International Relations
Universitätsplatz 3, ground floor
8010 Graz, Austria
Office location:  >>>Campus map

Office times for personal consultations:
Monday - Friday: 09.30 am - 12 noon
Wednesdays additionally from 1 - 3 pm
as well as on appointment

(during holidays: Monday - Thursday 10 am - 12 noon)

Contact person for students in the programmes: CEEPUS | Erasmus+ International | Erasmus+ Traineeship

Lia Maxein

B.A. M.A.
Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1251

Contact person for students in the programmes: ARQUS | ELAN | Erasmus+ | SEN Coimbra Group | Utrecht Network


Monika Ostir-Schein

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1246

Contact person for students of the programmes: ISEP | Joint Degree Exchange | Joint Study | Utrecht Network: AEN/MAUI/REARI-RJ | Best of South-East | Go Styria


Christa Grassauer

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1254

Office hours:

Mon - Fri: 9.30 am - 12 noon
Wed: 1 - 3 pm
as well as on appointment

(during holidays:
Mon - Thur: 10 am - 12 noon)

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.