End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

International arrivals: Covid-19 info

The University of Graz would like to ensure that university life is as safe as possible, so we kindly ask you to comply with the legal provisions and recommendations relating to the containment of Covid-19. As the information about entering Austria may rapidly change, we strongly advise you to contact the Foreign Ministry in your country of residence and  the Austrian representative authority before deciding to enter Austria.

We are constantly updating this page and, despite thorough research, we would like to point out that this information page does not replace legally valid information provided by the Austrian representation or ministry. Instead, it should be seen as an additional support for better understanding.

FAQs about entering Austria

As of 15th September 2021

What are the current rules?

The entry rules depend on the country (or the countries/areas), in which you stayed in the 10 days prior to entering Austria.

Countries with a low epidemiological risk:

Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Jordan, Latvia, Principality of Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Uruguay, Vatican, Vietnam

Below you can find the current entry rules for...

You have to show a proof of low epidemiological risk (see FAQs proofs/certificates for the entry) upon entry.

If you have none of the required proofs, you have to:

  • fill out the pre-travel-clearance form in German or English (the earliest 72 hours before entry)
  • an antigen or PCR test must be carried out immediately, but no later than 24 hours after entry into Austria.

Attention: only applies to direct flights to Austria from the respective countries!

For entering Austria, you need one of the following proofs:

  • Vaccination certificate
  • Proof of recovery
  • negative PCR test result


If no suitable proof is available upon entry:

  • Immediate PCR-testing at the airport or in exceptional cases up to 24 hours after entry
  • filling out the re-travel-clearance form in German or English (max. 72 hours before entry)

Students and researchers are allowed to enter Austria with a respective proof of their status, such as enrolment confirmation, letter of admission, employment contract, and have to follow the general immigration rules. Touristic arrivals from these countries are currently not permitted. 

For entering Austria you have to:

  • Have your confirmation of student or researcher status at hand (e.g. admisson letter, confirmation of enrolment, hosting agreement for researchers, employment contract,...)
  • Fill out the pre-travel-clearance form in German or  English  (maximum 72 hours before entry)
  • Have a negative PCR test result with you (see also FAQs proofs/certificates for entry)
  • go into a 10-days self-monitored home quarantine (see also FAQs quarantine) after the arrival.

Entry from countries or areas not mentioned above is generally permitted.

If you are fully immunized against or have recovered from Covid-19, you will need proof of this and can enter without quarantine.


If you are not fully immunized or recovered ...

.... but you  are entering Germany for work-related reasons (e.g. starting work for the first time), the following provisions apply:

  • Bring proof of the work-related entry purposes (for example: hosting agreement, employment contract,...) with you
  • Proof of low epidemiological risk (see FAQs proofs/certificates for the entry) with you


.. for non-work-related reasons the following provisions apply:

  • Fill out the pre-travel-clearance form in German or English  (maximum 72 hours before entry)
  • and
  • Have a proof of low epidemiological risk (see FAQs proofs/certificates for the entry)
    and go into 10-day home quarantine (see FAQs quarantine)

FAQs proofs/certificates for the entry

As of 15 September 2021

  • a medical certificate in German or English, confirming a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result, a vaccination or your recovery from COVID-19
  • test results stating a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result
  • proof of vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 with one of the recognised vaccines
  • proof of recovery within the last 180 days
    proof of neutralising antibodies not older than 90 days

Please note that, depending on the country you stayed in previously, you may have to go into quarantine despite the vaccination (see FAQs entry).

The following vaccination certificates are accepted:

  • medical certificate in German or English
  • vaccination certificate (in German / English) will also be accepted under the following conditions:
    • full immunisation (two vaccine shots, e.g. AstraZeneca, Biontech/Pfizer, Moderna...): you were vaccinated no more than 360 days ago
    • full immunisation with a vaccine that only requires one vaccination shot (e.g. Janssen by Johnson&Johnson): the proof is valid from the 22nd day onwards for a total of 9 months (270 days) counted from the day of vaccination
    • recovered & vaccinated: you were vaccinated no more than 360 days ago
    • booster shot: you have received the booster shot no more than 360 days ago; there must have been at least 120 days between basic immunisation and booster shot


You must have been vaccinated with one of the following vaccines:

  • Comirnaty / BNT162b2 / Tozinameran (INN) from BioNtech / Pfizer: 2 doses
  • ChAdOx1_nCoV-19 / ChAdOx1-S / AZD1222 / Vaxzevria / COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca from AstraZeneca, and Covishield from Serum Institute of India: 2 doses
  • COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen by Johnson & Johnson / Janssen Pharmaceuticals / Ad26.COV2.S Janssen (US + NL sites): 1 dose
  • Covid-19 Vaccine Moderna / mRNA-1273 from Moderna: 2 doses
  • Sinopharm / BIBP (Beijing Bio-Institute of Biological Products Co-Ltd.) SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell), Inactivated (InCoV): 2 doses
  • Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine, SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell), Inactivated: 2 doses

If you have suffered from Covid and have recovered, you can prove this with a medical certificate in German or EnglishIf you do not have a medical certificate, an recovery certificate in German or English issued by an authority or doctor will also be accepted. It must state that you have recovered in the past 6 months.

Evidence of neutralizing antibodies that is not older than 3 months can also accepted.

Whether an antigen or a PCR test result is accepted depends on the country in which you previously stayed, please see the section above for more information. If you arrive from a virus variant area, you must provide a negative PCR test result. Sampling must have taken place max. 48 hours (antigen test) or max. 72 hours (PCR test) before entering Austria!

The negative test result can be confirmed on a medical certificate in German or English. If you do not have a medical certificate, the test result (German / English) is also accepted, provided the following information is included:

  • First and last name of the tested person
  • Date of birth
  • Date and time of sampling
  • Test result (positive / negative)
  • Signature of the person carrying out the test and stamp of the institution carrying out the test or bar or QR code

FAQs quarantine

As of 15 September 2021

You can end quarantine five days after entry the earliest, the day of entering Austria counts as day 0. PCR or antigen tests are accepted to end quarantine earlier (at your own expense).  If you arrive from a virus variant area, you must take a PCR test to end quarantine early! Note that the test has to be carried out by an official testing place or lab (e.g. pharmacies, doctors, public test street). There you will also receive a confirmation of the result in paper that you should carry with you until the end of the 10 days period.

In Graz (City of Graz) you do not have to submit your negative test result to the health autority to end quarantine. If you live outside of Graz, please get in touch with the respective health authority of your district ("Bezirkshauptmannschaft").

You have to book a suitable accommodation for quarantine at your own expense.

As you are not allowed to leave your accommodation for 5-10 days, everything you need should be available on site upon arrival. Get familiar with the following topics at an early stage to prepare the home quarantine in the best possible way:

  • Is the accommodation suitable for quarantine? See WHO regulations for quarantine
  • Communication :
    • WiFi or internet access that can be used immediately after arrival
    • SIM card or phone
    • Laptop / computer
    • For employees: access to Graz University resources for home office (VPN access, email account etc.)
  • Facility : Are all necessary items in the accommodation? Also think of bedding, sheets, towels, ...
  • Food supply: Do you have acquaintances / friends / family in Graz who can take care of you during the quarantine, i.e. grocery shopping?
  • Medical care: What medication do you need during quarantine and can you bring it with you?
    • Clinical thermometer: if possible, bring a clinical thermometer with you so that you can check your temperature to document it, if necessary.

Keep in mind that if you are quarantined, you must not leave your accommodation. We therefore recommend that you bring the following from your country of origin to Graz in addition to the documents and objects that you would take with you anyway:

  • Medication that you take regularly (if necessary, observe import regulations - if you have any questions, please contact the Austrian representative authority)
  • If possible: clinical thermometer
  • FFP2 mask
  • If possible: hand and surface disinfectant
  • Austrian sim card / phone card to use public quarantine services such as Team Österreich ("Team Austria") to get groceries etc.
    Note: you can buy an Austrian sim card (pre-paid) in most supermarket chains like Spar, Billa, Hofer, Merkur, Lidl,...

If your "buddy" (only for exchange students!), neighbors, acquaintances or relatives can not supply your food or necessary medication during quarantine, you can use the following services:

  • Team Austria 
    This website is in German only, please use automatic translator function of your webbrowser to navigate.
    An initiative within the framework of neighborhood aid, organized by the Red Cross and volunteers. On the website you can fill in your contact details and that you are in quarantine, you will then be contacted within 24 hours. 
  • Veloblitz (delivery costs vary)
    This website is in German only, please use automatic translator function of your webbrowser to navigate.
    Bicycle courier service in Graz. Charges are made per kilometer traveled, weight of the goods to be transported and a stop charge.
  • Delivery services:  Lieferando , Mjam or Velofood (delivery costs vary)
    These websites are in German only, please use automatic translator function of your webbrowser to navigate.
    Contactless delivery partially possible.


Yes, the police or the health department can carry out checks at the specified place of residence. If you fail to comply with the quarantine and thereby endanger others, a severe sentence has to be expected. If you are not at the specified location during a check, fines of up to €1,450 are possible.


During your time in quarantine, you must not leave your place of quarantine, no visitors are allowed. The required supplies (groceries,...) should be delivered contactless.


FAQs getting vaccinated in Austria

As of 15 September 2021

There is a vaccination opportunity especially for students and staff of the University of Graz, but the vaccination does not take place on campus. You can sign up for the Styrian universities' vaccination campaign at  https://anmeldung.steiermark-impft.at/  Please use your automatic browser translation tool in case you don't speak German! 

The registration is possible from August 3rd onwards. It is important that you have already registered your residence in Styria when you want to sign up for an appointment. They will use the "Janssen" vaccine from Johnson & Johnson, so only one vaccination is necessary. If you have questions about the vaccination campaign, you can also contact covid-19(at)uni-graz.at


  • If you do not have an Austrian social security number, your vaccination will not be registered in the Austrian vaccination database and you will not receive an EU vaccination certificate.
  • EU/EEA nationals should contact their national health authority how to receive an EU vaccination certificate from their home country.
  • Non-EU nationals should find out in their home country how to proceed when being vaccinated in Austria.

Yes, if the vaccine used for the first shot is recognized in the EU. Please note that vaccinations do not take place at the university, but at a public vaccination center or at a medical practice.

To schedule an appointment, please contact:  corona-imfung@stmk.gv.at  as soon as possible. Please attach a proof of vaccination, for example a yellow WHO standard vaccination passor another official proof of vaccination - based on this information, you will receive the appointment for the second vaccination.

FAQs Covid tests in Austria

As of 15 September 2021

There is a test line on campus of Uni Graz that can be used free of charge by staff and students. You can find the test line between the buildings "Heinrichstraße 26" and "Universitätsplatz 5". 

You can sign up for the test and find other test lines here: oesterreich-testet.at 

Austrian social security number / e-card required (free of charge):

  1. Screening programme of the government at selected pharmacies: https://apotheken.oesterreich-testet.at/

NO Austrian social security number / e-card required (free of charge):

NO Austrian social security number / e-card required (at your own expense)

  1. For example: https://covid-teststation.at/ (registration required, costs approx. 29€, test takes place in Grazbachgasse)
  2. In Graz, you can take a PCR test at the following labs (see the following document "Steiermark" to see labs in Graz: WKO)
  3. For example: https://www.medius.at/service/corona-test/
  4. Pharmacies may also offer COVID-tests starting at approx. 25€ 

Further information

The websites of most Austrian federal ministries are mainly offered in German. We recommend that you download a browser e.g. Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge etc. with an automatic translation function (check the language settings). This will allow you to read German websites in English or other languages. Even if the translation is not perfect, it grants you access to up-to-date information.


Last updated: 09 July 2020, 16:00

Exchange students

Non-EU/EEA programmes

Christa Grassauer

Universitätsplatz 3
Ground floor
8010 Graz

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1254

Contact person

International students, staff, guest researchers

Julia Taucher

Universitätsplatz 3
1st floor
8010 Graz

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 3940

Currently, personal meetings on appointment only

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.