- EU programme to support stays abroad worldwide, amongst other things
- Mobilities also in countries outside of Europe
- Additional travel allowance to the monthly grant
- Interdisciplinary places are open to all fields of study, with a few exceptions
Find out about the partner institutions in our office, at our information events, directly on the university's website and also use the student experience reports from students who have already been abroad.
|Country||University||Number of places / Duration||Level/Comments|
|Albania||1/5 months|| |
Reserved for the Institute of Physics
|Bosnia Herzegovina||1/5 months||BA/MA/PhD|
|Brazil||Universidade Federal Fluminense||1/5 months||BA/MA|
|Cuba||1/5 months|| |
Reserved for the Institute of Public Law and Political Science
|Israel||Bar-Ilan University||2/5 months|| |
Reserved for the Institute for Corporate and International Commercial Law
|Japan||Hiroshima University||1/5 months||Joint Master’s Programme in Sustainable Development|
|South Africa||Stellenbosch University||1/5 months|| |
Reserved for the Institute of Human Resource Management
|Stellenbosch University||2/5 months||Joint Master’s Programme in Sustainable Development|
|The City College of New York||1/4 months||Joint Master's Programme in English and American Studies|
The European Commission's guidelines allow mobilities to the country of origin.
This excludes stays in the country where you usually stay. Example: Your center of life is in a neighbouring country (e.g. Slovenia) but you study in Austria (cross-border commuter). In this case, an Erasmus+ stay in the country of residence (e.g. Slovenia) is not financially supported.
You are not sure which university / institution to apply for? Use our experience report portal (auslandserlebnis.uni-graz.at) and find out about the experiences of other students.
In our workshops on the Erasmus+ and the Erasmus+ International application process, we support you with:
- finding a suitable partner institution,
- creating the online application in Mobility-Online,
- useful advice, tricks and experience.
11/11/2020 / 13:30–15:30 / HS 15.03 RESOWI
To join us in a livestream: https://unitube.uni-graz.at/portal/streaming.html?id=hs1503
To join us in a chat: https://unimeet.uni-graz.at/b/nin-vkg-n7d
10/12/2020 / 9:30–11:30 / Online on uniMEET: https://unimeet.uni-graz.at/b/nin-vkg-n7d
12/01/2021 / 08:30–10:30 / HS 12.11 Univ.str. 2-4, 1st floor, Heizhaus
Erasmus+ International stays are possible for 3 -12 months.
Maximum length of stay: In each level of study (bachelor, master's, doctorate) Erasmus+ stays up to a maximum of 12 months are possible, regardless of type (study visit/traineeships) and the number of mobilitys (e.g. 2 study periods of 5 months each and one traineeship for 2 months). For students enrolled for a diploma degree, stays of up to 24 months are possible. Already completed stays (e.g. in the LLP program) are included in the maximum length of stay!
You can apply for an Erasmus + International stay if you:
- are enrolled for a regular study programme during the entire mobility at the University of Graz or a NAWI Graz study programme
- have completed at least the first year of a study programme relevant to the stay when starting the mobility (not at the time of application)
- have no employment at the University of Graz during the stay abroad
- you meet the language requirements of the partner institution
For the application, you create a study plan, i.e. you put together the preliminary courses at the partner institution. Only when you were allocated a place, you create an recognition document in which you make your final selection of courses.
Ideally, you will complete the equivalent of 30 ECTS credits per semester (=study performance of one semester), which are recognised for your studies at the University of Graz. If you are writing a thesis (Master's thesis, dissertation,...), the ECTS credits awarded by the supervisor for the successful progress of the work are also considered.
As a minimum requirement, you must complete 3 ECTS points per month of stay for your studies at the University of Graz.
You apply online via the Mobility-Online database. Instructions can be found here.
Step 1: You must upload / fill out the following application documents in Mobility-Online.
- Application form with photo and signature:
- Download the form in Mobility-Online.
- Fill it out and add a photo of yourself. Sign the form.
- Scan the signed form including a photo and upload it to Mobility-Online.
- Letter of motivation with academic justification (in English) max. 1-2 pages, at least one paragraph per partner institution selected.
- Preliminary study plan (template): your preliminary study plan does not require an official confirmation. You can choose what you consider suitable.
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- Proof of the language skills required by the partner institutions (note the minimum requirements of the partner institution!)
- Proof of completed studies / completed courses
- Secondary school certificate
- Language certificates
- Document, in which you will assess your own langauge skills and explain how you will still prove them (e.g. examination/course, etc.) until the start of your stay
- For students of a foreign language: upload a short explanation that you are studying the language, or upload a Transcript of Records, for example
- English letter of recommendation from a lecturer/professor at the University of Graz. The letters of recommendation must be signed and stamped by the institute and can be sent directly to the programme officers by the person making the recommendation.
- Transcript of records (from UNIGRAZonline)
- Confirmation of payment of the deposit of 100 euros (see "Deposit")
- If necessary, supplementary form in case of applying for several mobility programmes: If you apply for several mobility programmes at the University of Graz at the same time (e.g. Erasmus+ and Joint Study)
- If necessary, NAWI Graz supplementary form: For NAWI Graz students
Step 2: Attention: due to the current situation, it is not necessary to submit the original application form! If you confirm the completeness of the documents in Mobility-Online in due time, your application will be processed automatically.
Application via Mobility-Online (access via your business card in UNIGRAZonline):
|mid-December 2020 to 21 January, 2021||For stays in the winter and/or summer semester 2021/22.|
|until 25 March, 2021||Remaining places for stays in the winter and/or summer semester 2021/22.|
|until 17 June, 2021||Remaining places for stays in the summer semester 2022.|
|until 9 September, 2021||The remaining places lists will be published in mid-August. After that, applications can be made via Mobility-Online (access via your business card in UNIGRAZonline)|
You have to deposit 100 euros and specify the mobility programme and the purpose of use ("Verwendungszweck") "KAUTION - ASO702500017" to the following account:
- Account holder: University of Graz / Universität Graz
- Bank: Raiffeisen-Landesbank Steiermark
- IBAN: AT3638000000000049460
- SWIFT/BIC: RZSTAT2G
- BLZ: 38000
- Account number: 00000049460
Upload the deposit confirmation in Mobility-Online with all other application documents. Detailed information on deposits can be found here.
- You will receive a grant to cover the increased cost of living in the host country in the amount of 700 euros per month of stay.
- You will also receive a travel grant ranging between 180 and 1,500 euros, see overview .
- The grant is paid in two installments (70% in advance, 30% after the stay). For more information on how to apply for the grant, see Step 2.
If you receive study allowances in Austria, you can also apply for an additional study abroad support - it does not reduce the mobility grant. For further information, please contact the Studienbeihilfenbehörde (0316/81 33 88, Metahofgasse 30, 8020 Graz).
You can also apply for a special grant under certain circumstances (illness, disability, taking children). For more information, please visit the OeAD website or the contact the programme officer.
When you have submitted all the documents, the programme officer selects suitable applicants and assigns them to partner institutions. The selection is based on the following criteria:
- Academic success
- Preliminary study programme ("study plan")
- Language proficiency
- CV and extracurricular activities
After the application deadline, suitable applicants for the partner institutions will be selected and the available places are assigned to suitable candidates. If you do not get selected, you will be contacted by email and informed about further application options.
After you have been assigned to a partner institution, you are nominated to the host institution: this means we inform our partner institution that we have assigned you to a study place. The IRO programme officer will contact you with further information on how to apply to the host institution by email. You only have a definitive study place abroad when the host institution accepts your application.
According to the programme guidelines, you need a Learning Agreement (LA) signed by all parties (yourself, the host institution & University of Graz) before the start of your mobility. You can download a template from Mobility-Online.
Another component of the LA in Austria is the pre-recognition notice (Vorausbescheid, in short VB). It is the legal basis for crediting courses completed abroad and is processed via UNIGRAZonline. The VB is issued by the responsible faculty and is mandatory in addition to the LA. Attention: please take into consideration that it takes around 6 weeks to issue the VB!
You upload the LA and the VB in Mobility-Online within the specified period:
- Stays beginning in the winter semester until mid-June
- Stays beginning in the summer semester until mid-November
- If your host university requires the Learning Agreement for the application, prepare the pre-recognition at the same time. Take into account the processing time of the faculty, so that you do not miss the application deadline at the host institution.
- If you do not hand in a learning agreement and/or pre-recognition notification, we must withdraw the nomination to the host institution.
- In order to create the LA and VB, information sessions are offered together with the faculties - please bring the instructions to the appointment.
Instructions for creating the LA&VB can be found here. (as of November 2020).
Before starting your stay, you must personally submit the signed Grant Agreement to the Office of International Relations. You will receive detailed information on this from the responsible programme officer in advance by email.
The mobility grant is paid out in two installments:
- Installment = 70% of the grant: no later than 30 days after signing the grant agreement. At the same time, the travel allowance will be transferred to you.
- Installment = 30% of the scholarship: no later than 30 days after submitting the mandatory final documents; further information can be found in the Grant Agreement.
Some host institutions provide accommodation or support you in finding suitable accommodation. Please inquire independently about the possibilities in the host country.
Practice has shown that students frequently have to change their study plan at the place of study because some courses overlap, are not offered or fullly booked.
If only the study plan at the host institution changes:
- Contact the person responsible for recognition issues as to whether changes can be recognized
- Amendment to the learning agreement, table C and signature of the host institution
If the courses to be recognized at the University of Graz also change:
- Application for a new pre-recognition notification (VB) in UNIGRAZonline
- Amendment to the learning agreement, table C + D and signature of the host instititution
- Submission of the changed LA, original LA and, if necessary, approval list of the new VB to the person responsible for recognition issues in the field of study (e.g. chair of the curriculum committee)
- The amendment to the learning agreement must be submitted no later than 5 weeks after the start of the stay
- Confirmation by all three parties (student, host and home institution) must be obtained within 2 weeks
- Also upload a copy of the signed and amended LA and a copy of the new VB in Mobility-Online
Please get a confirmation of your stay signed by the host institution.