End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Find answers to various questions relating to your stay at the University of Graz below.

What is a CV / résumé?

How can I access the online application tool?

Upon nomination by the home university you will receive your personal code for the online application via email.

Do I need to send the paper documents?

Please send the complete application scanned as ONE PDF-file (see checklist for a complete application) via email to the program coordinator at the University of Graz by the application deadline.

Who do I need to send the application to?

You can find detailed instructions incl. the email address in the online help in the application tool.

What are the documents I have to hand in?

You can find the detailed information in the online help.

What exactly is the proof of enrollment?

Students applying for master level need to provide the following document as part of their application:

  • If you are currently enrolled in a master program at your home university:
    You need to provide a proof of enrollment at master level at your home university – naming the master program by its full name. This document needs to be issued by the admissions office of your home university.

For a detailed list of all the documents needed (this one included) please refer to the online help. If your application is for PhD level, the same procedure applies but of course for enrollment on PhD level.

When do I need to be in Graz?

Participation in the Welcome Week is MANDATORY for all incoming exchange students. We offer two welcome weeks in the fall semester and one in the summer semester.

Check our welcome events for the relevant dates and make sure you arrive in time and also make sure you DO NOT make any other appointments during the welcome events as you need to be present for the entire duration of each session!

Where can I find the academic calendar of the University of Graz?

When do lectures start at Graz university?

Report the loss at Magistrat Graz detailing all the documents/cards you lost. You will receive a copy of this report which you will then need for the next steps.

  • Address: Magistrat Graz, Schmiedgasse 26, 8011 Graz

Report the theft at the police detailing all the stolen documents/cards. You will receive a copy of this report which you will then need in the next steps.

>> UNI Graz Card
Take the above-mentioned report and your passport or other official photo ID to the admissions office where you will have to pay for the issuing of a new card.

  • Further information: >>LINK<<
    Address: Studien- und Prüfungsabteilung, university main building, 1st floor
  • Cost: € 15 (as of 2018)

>> Passport
Get in touch with the embassy of your home country in Austria and follow their procedure to request a new passport.

>> Austrian Visum in passport (max. 6 months stay)
Take the above-mentioned report and – if available – a copy of your visa to the “Fremdenpolizei” in Graz and ask for a confirmation for the lost/stolen visa.

  • Address: Fremdenpolizei, Paulustorgasse 8, 8010 Graz

>> Austrian Residence Permit (full year stay)
Complete an application for a new residence permit card, attach a photo and all relevant documents and hand it in to the residence permit office in Graz along with the above-mentioned report.

  • Address: Abteilung 3, Stmk. Landesregierung, Paulustorgasse 4, 8010 Graz
  • application form: LINK >> Neuausstellung eines Aufenthaltstitels
  • Costs: € 50,70 (as of 2018)

>> E-Card of Steiermärkischen Gebietskrankenkasse (GKK)

Go to Steiermärkische Gebietskrankenkasse, provide them with your insurance number and the above-mentioned report and request a new e-card.

  • Address: GKK-Stmk. Gebietskrankenkasse, Josef-Pongratz Platz 1, 8010 Graz

>> Bank Card / Credit Card

As soon as you notice the cards are missing, report it to the card issuer immediately and follow their procedures for the issuing of new cards.

>> Any other documents/cards
For any other documents/cards lost/stolen, please contact the issuing authority of the relevant documents/cards on how to request replacement documents/cards.

What is a diploma program?

While most of our programs have been restructured according to the bachelor/master/ PhD system, some have not. Those are still offered as diploma programs – including both bachelor and master level in one – leading up to a PhD programs.

What is ECTS? What is a full workload at the University of Graz?

Can I attend courses if I do not know German?

While all our programs are German-taught, most offer a limited number of courses in English. If you do not have any knowledge of German, you need to check whether you can fulfill your requirements based on our English-taught courses.

What courses do you offer in English?

For courses taught in English check this page.

How can I register for the Intensive German course?

For information on the intensive course, please check this page

How can I register for subject courses in my field(s) of study?

Note that uploading courses to your online application for the University of Graz does not constitute a course registration but allows us to decide which field(s) of study you need to be registered for. The courses you upload to your application should be based on your discussion with your academic advisors back home concerning course recognition.

The final course registration takes place during our welcome events in Graz. In preparation for this online registration you should research the courses you intend to take carefully. Academic advisors will help you with any academic questions you still have on those courses.

Whom can I contact if I have a question on my course choice?

For questions on courses you can get in touch with the Academic Advisor of the respective field of study already before your arrival in Graz. The academic advisors will also offer appointments for the incoming students during the welcome week. A list of all academic advisors of Graz University can be found here:

- Academic Advisors
- Academic Coordinators CEEPUS + Double/Joint Degree Incomings

Can I take courses of other faculties?

Incoming students are admitted to fields of study corresponding to those they are enrolled in at the home university. On bachelor’s level, students can also choose to take courses at other faculties and can be enrolled in other fields of study (max. 5 total). If you intend to do that make sure you indicate that when choosing your courses in the online application. Students having finished the bachelor’s degree and being currently enrolled in a master’s program at their home university have to include the corresponding documents (please see check list) in their applications and will then be admitted to a master program corresponding to the program they are registered for at the home university. If in addition master students also want to take courses in other fields of study, they can do so, though only on bachelor level.

At which levels are the German language courses offered?

Treffpunkt Sprachen, the language center of the University of Graz, offers both German intensive and semester courses at all levels. For more details, click here.

How do I drop courses?

After the course registration deadline, it is not possible for you to de-register online from the chosen courses. In case you no longer want to pursue a course and wish to de-register from it, please contact the professor teaching the course in person or via email and ask him/her to de-register you. 

I will be working on my thesis during my stay and do not want to attend any courses, is that possible?

It is up to the students whether they decide to follow courses at our university or whether they are focusing on working on their thesis. Please get in touch with your home university concerning what is required from you. Please note that you will not receive any ECTS credits from Graz University for working on your thesis.

I will be working on my thesis during my stay. Do I need a supervisor?

  • Doctoral/PhD students need to be accepted by a professor at the University of Graz for supervision. Please get in touch with the relevant academic advisor in Graz if you need support in identifying a supervisor:
    - Academic Advisors
    - Academic Coordinators CEEPUS + Double/Joint Degree Incomings
  • Bachelor and Master students: your home university needs to decide whether or not you need a supervisor at Graz University. If you need one, please get in touch with the relevant academic advisor in Graz.

When contacting professors or academic advisors at the University of Graz, make sure you provide him/her with your full name, the name of your home university as well as field and level of study, refer to the exchange program in the context of which you are applying and send CV and detailed research proposal!

Program coordinators at the University of Graz:

Responsible for CEEPUS, Erasmus+, Erasmus+ International, ELAN, SEN/UN:

Georg Göschl

Bakk. rer. soc. oec. MA.

Universitätsplatz 3
Ground Floor
8010 Graz

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1246

Opening hours:
Mo - Fr 9:30 - 12 am
Wed additionally 1 - 3 pm
and on appointment

(During course free time:
Mo - Thu 10 - 12 am)

ERASMUS + mobilities:

Erasmus+: erasmus.incoming(at)uni-graz.at

Erasmus+ International: erasmusplus.intl.incoming(at)uni-graz.at

Responsible for Joint Study, ISEP, AEN, MAUI, Best of South-East, Go Styria:


Christa Grassauer
Universitaetsplatz 3, 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 1254
Fax:+43 (0)316 380 - 9156

Office hours:
Mon-Fri 9.30-12pm, Wed 1-3pm
(During holidays: Monday-Thursday 10am-12pm)
and by appointment

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.