Best of South-East
Based on the successful implementation of the programme since 2008 "Steiermärkische Sparkasse" in cooperation with the University of Graz will continue “Best of South-East”, a programme aiming at the advancement and further education of talented and dedicated graduates and students from Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and North Macedonia.
The programme's aim is to provide selected candidates with training and further education opportunities as well as international work experience. Furthermore, the programme aims at facilitating the participant’s entry into professional life.
TRAINEE PROGRAM & INTERNSHIP
Graduates or students in business, economics or law at accredited universities in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and North Macedonia” as well as students of the University of Graz holding a status as „ordentliche Studierende“ who originally come from one of the target countries will be given the opportunity to complete a trainee program or an internship program at the "Steiermärkische Sparkasse". Selected courses at the University of Graz will round off the academic training and education of the students.
- Students still enrolled at bachelor level at the time of application (i.e. 05.12.2018), as well as students who are in the beginning of their diploma programme (i.e. programme not in line with the Bologna system, comprising bachelor and master level in one) can only apply for the internship program.
- Students enrolled in the 4th or 5th year of a diploma programme (i.e. programme not in line with the Bologna system, comprising bachelor and master level in one program) as well as students enrolled in the last year of a 4-year-Bachelor programme, can apply for the trainee or internship program.
Note though that in case of selection, enrollment at the University of Graz in this case will be at bachelor level.
- Applicants having completed the bachelor- or master programme in the year leading up to the programme deadline (graduation as indicate on the diploma = 01.12.2017 - 05.12.2018) as well as master and doctoral students can apply for the trainee or internship program.
Both programme options last one year (September to August):
- Candidates participating in the "Best of South-East” trainee programme will attend selected courses at University of Graz and extend their academic knowledge and their language skills in addition to their one-year training in the "Steiermärkische Sparkasse". Trainees will complete the last month of the programme at one of the bank's locations in South-Eastern Europe. Trainees selected for the programme must complete a minimum of 16 ECTS / academic year at the University of Graz.
- Candidates participating in the “Best of South-East” programme as an intern will focus on attending courses at the University of Graz that are relevant for completing their studies at their home university. In a two-month internship in the summer after the end of the academic year participants will get strongly involved in the daily business of "Steiermärkische Sparkasse" at one of its locations in Styria or in South-Eastern Europe. Internship candidates selected for the programme must complete a minimum of 30 ECTS / academic year at the University of Graz.
Interested parties have to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Proof of good command of German (Trainees B1, Interns A2)
- Excellent command of English
- Native language: Slovenian, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin or Macedonian
- Studies/degree in economics or law with very good marks
- Age: max. 27 years at the time of application
- Dedication, strong communications skills, flexibility, analytical and practical economic thinking
CHANCES THROUGH "Best of South-East"
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their personal statement, their academic performance and their references. The selection procedure includes both representatives of the "Steiermärkische Sparkasse" and the University of Graz. In the personal statement, special attention is paid to the applicants‘ interest as well as their personal motivation for applying for the trainee or internship programme.
As a first step the University of Graz will review the documents on a legal and academic basis. Applicants who are eligible for the programme after this review will then be invited to a regional preselection. The best applicants of this preselection will then be invited to the final selection meeting in Graz.
Various events allow the participants to integrate into the economic, cultural and academic life of Styria. In addition, participants can take language courses offered by the University of Graz in order to broaden and improve their language skills.
Dedicated participants will experience a close attachment to "Steiermärkische Sparkasse" which is further promoted by the in-company mentoring system.
"Steiermärkische Sparkasse" and the University of Graz reserve the right to dismiss candidates prior to the end of the programme if they do not adhere to the agreed programme guidelines.
The total amount of financial aid per year and participant is a maximum of EUR 10,000 and specifically consists of the following services:
- EUR 690,- spending money per month
- Intensive language course or semester language course at the “Treffpunkt Sprachen” language center of the University of Graz
- Registration at the University of Graz
- Tuition waiver for the University of Graz
- Various networking events throughout the year
Please e-mail your complete application documents scanned in PDF format (entire application = 1 PDF file) by 11.12.2018, 11.59 a.m. CET (receiving deadline) to christa.grassauer(at)uni-graz.at.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DOCUMENTS
To receive the Code for the Online application please contact christa.grassauer(at)uni-graz.at and in your email provide the following information:
- First and last name (according to your passport)
- Name of home university in national language and in English
- Information on studies:
- Students: level of program (Bachelor/Diploma Studies/Master/Doctorate) and field of study, for which you are currently enrolled at your home university, including the expected date of completion.
- Graduates: last degree completed -> information on level of program (Bachelor/Diploma Studies/Master) and field of study as well as date of graduation according to diploma
- In case you have already studied at an Austrian university in the past, mention when and at which university and also provide your student Austrian ID number (=Matrikelnummer)
Applying for the programme is a two-step process:
- Step 1: Online application
- Step 2: Sending the complete application documents scanned as 1 PDF-file via email to christa.grassauer(at)uni-graz.at by 05.12.2018
Template - Letter of Invitation/Supervision (Doctoral applicants)
Search the complete course guide or – in case you are only taking English-taught classes – the search engine for English-taught classes to identify the courses for your study plan.
As the courses for the upcoming academic year will not be published until July, you will have to work with the classes of the current year for now when completing your study plan:
FAQ – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Mon-Fri 9.30-12pm, Wed 1-3pm
(During holidays: Monday-Thursday 10am-12pm)
and by appointment