You can apply for a mobility in the following programs of the Utrecht Network:
- Australian-European Network (AEN)
- Mid-America Universities International (MAUI)
Why you should go abroad with Utrecht Network
- Application open for all fields of study*
- No tuition fees at the host institution
- Financial support between 350-450 euros per month of stay
- Special subsidy is possible under certain circumstances (e.g. chronic illness or disability)
- Classes completed abroad can be recognized
- Additional 1-2 semesters with tuition fee waiver for EU/EEA nationals
* Partner institutions can have preferences for certain fields of study.
You can apply for the following partner institutions within 3 Utrecht Network programs:
Australia-European-Network (AEN | Australia)
Mid-America Universities International (MAUI | USA)
You are not sure which university / institution to apply for? Use our experience report portal (auslandserlebnis.uni-graz.at) and find out about the experiences of other students.
Step 1: Application
First of all, you need to apply for a place within the Utrecht Network in our office (Office of International Relations) with Mobility-Online. The application process is the same for all three programmes within this network, but you must specify when applying for which of the three programs (AEN / MAUI / REARI-RJ) you are applying. You can find more information about the process below:
The next information event will take place during our International Week from 16 - 20.10.2023 - more detailed info can be found here. In addition to our information events, you can also reach us at our office in Präsenz or via phone!
Universtitätsplatz 3, 8010 Graz Phone:+43 316 380 - 1243 E-Mail:outgoing.exchange(at)uni-graz.at
Mon - Fri: 9.30 am - 12 noon
Wed: 1 - 3 pm
as well as on appointment
Mon - Thur: 10 am - 12 noon)
Duration of stay
Duration of stay: one semester or academic year
The stay is not intended to carry out academic work, such as master's or diploma theses abroad, but to study at a partner institution abroad.
Maximum length of stay:
Per study level (Bachelor, Master) there are iStudy, ISEP, MAUI, REARI-RJ or AEN stays up to a total of max. 2 semesters (or 4 semesters for diploma degrees) possible. Max. 2 semesters can be completed at the same institution abroad.
- You must be enrolled for a regular study programme at the University of Graz ("ordentliches Studium")
- No employment with the University of Graz during the stay abroad
- The maximum length of stay per degree level may not be exceeded
- You have to fulfill the language skills as required by the partner institution
- At the time of starting the mobility (not at the time of application) you must have completed at least the first year of a degree relevant to the stay (only relevant for bachelor level students)
Participation in the information event is recommended.
Academic performance abroad
It is recommended that you complete the equivalent of 30 ECTS points per semester (= study performance of one semester) during your stay abroad, which can be recognized for your studies at the University of Graz. As a minimum requirement, you must complete 3 ECTS points per month of stay for your studies at the University of Graz.
For the application you have to create a preliminary study plan, i.e. you have to put together the courses you would like to complete at the partner institution(s). The study plan is only a preliminary plan. If you have been assigned to a partner institution (from step 2 onwards), you have to draw up a pre-recognition notification (Vorausbescheid), in which you announce the officially planned study performance abroad.
Application to the Office of International Relations: When applying to the Office of International relations (step 1), you must be able to prove that you have sufficient language skills. For example, you can submit your secondary school diploma.
Language certificates for host institutions: Some universities require a (standardized) language test in order to meet the language requirements at the host institution. Please inform yourself about this in good time. When you have been assigned to a host institution, you must prove your language level to the host institution at the latest (see step 3).
You apply online with the Mobility-Online database. You can access it via your personal business card in UNIGRAZonline > International Relations.
1) Applying with Mobility-Online:
You have to fill out / upload the following application documents in Mobility-Online (Download: Checklist documents)
- Application form with photo and signature
- Download the form in Mobility-Online and print it out
- Provide the form with a photo of yourself and personally sign this form
- Scan the signed form and upload it to Mobility-Online
- English letter of motivation with academic justification
- Preliminary study plan ( template )
- Curriculum vitae in English + personal signature
- Proof of required language skills (please note the minimum requirements of the respective partner institution!)
- Transcript of records (from UNIGRAZonline)
- English letter of recommendation from a lecturer/professor at the University of Graz. The letters of recommendation must be signed and stamped by the institute and can be sent directly to the programme officers by the person making the recommendation (The letter of recommendation will be uploaded into Mobility Online by our office staff)
- Confirmation of payment of the deposit (see also "Deposit")
- If applicable: supplementary sheet for applications for several programmes: if you are applying for several mobility programmes at the University of Graz at the same time (e.g. Erasmus + and Joint Study)
- If applicable: NAWI Graz supplement to the application for NAWI Graz students
2) Submission in person:
Submit the printed application form (with original signature!) to our office within the application period. Without this form, the online application is not complete and we cannot process it.
November 24, 2023
We only accept complete applications.
We will announce remaining places and deadlines on this page.
You have to deposit €100, - stating the mobility programme (AEN/MAUI/REARI-RJ) and the purpose "KAUTION - ASO702500017" to the following account:
- Account holder: University of Graz
- Bank: Raiffeisen-Landesbank Steiermark
- IBAN: AT363800000000049460
- SWIFT / BIC: RZSTAT2G
- Bank code: 38000
- Account number: 00000049460
Upload the deposit confirmation in Mobility-Online with all other application documents.
Step 2: Selection for a Utrecht Network Place
Once you have submitted all the necessary documents and after the application deadline, the programe officer at the Office of International Relations will start allocating the available places within the Utrecht Network.
Attention: The selection of the University of Graz is only a preselection - the actual allocation to the host instituion will be completed by the Utrecht Network head office in April.
Step 3: Allocation to a partner institution
The head office of the Utrecht Network assigns applicants to a partner institution in April. This selection is not a fixed commitment for a study place yet and is subject to the acceptance of your application by the host institution. You will be informed by email about the outcome of your application and about the next steps.
Below you can find an overview of the next steps:
Application to the host institution
After you have been assigned to a partner institution, our office will nominate you to the future host institution. The programme officer will contact you with further information by email.
Proof of language skills for your host institution
Please inform yourself in good time about the required language skills at the host institution and how you can prove this: If a standardized language test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, etc.) is required, take the test now at the latest.
Finalizing your study plan: pre-recognition document ("Vorausbescheid")
Prior to the stay abroad, an pre-recognition document must be requested via UNIGRAZonline. The pre-recognition notice is the legal basis for the recognition of courses. Further information can be found on the website of the respective faculty.
Attention: please plan ahead for the preparation of the pre-recognition notice, it can take several weeks to issue it.
You are exempt from tuition fees during your stay at your host institution. In addition, you do not have to pay any tuition fees at the University of Graz during your stay abroad. Attention: You must pay your students union fee (ÖH Beitrag) to stay enrolled at Uni Graz!
Agreement and receiving the grant
Before your stay, you have to sign an agreement and submit it to the programme officer at the Office of International Relations. Only then will can transfer the financial grant to you. We will send you further information by email.
The grant is paid out in two installments:
- Rate = 80% before the stay
- Rate = 20% after submitting all required final documents (see "After your stay")
Insurance in the host country
Some partner institutions require you to take out a specific insurance for international students. If this is not the case, you will have to find a suitable insurance yourself. You must conclude a suitable insurance for your stay abroad.
Living in the host country
Some host institutions provide accommodation or support you in finding suitable accommodation. Please inquire independently about the possibilities in the host country.
Since your stay abroad as student is not a touristic stay, you have to take care of obtaining a suitable visa or a residence permit in the host country. Please find out about deadlines and the documents required for the application and contact the embassy of your host country (in Austria) in good time for further information.
If you are going to Australia: You will be given a number with which you can apply for a visa - you will receive further information by email.
If you are going to the USA : the host institution sends the required form for the visa application (DS-2019) via e-mail.
During and after the stay
We wish you a successful stay!
Below you can find information relevant during your stay:
Extension of your stay
If you would like to extend your stay, we will be happy to support you. Please contact the programme officer and your host institution in good time to find out under which circumstances an extension is possible.
Cancelling your stay
Should you cancel your stay early, you must inform the programme officer at the Office of International Relations immediately.
Changing your study plan
Practice has shown that students frequently have to change their study plan at the place of study because some courses overlap, are not offered or fullly booked.
If only the study plan at the host institution changes:
- Contact the person responsible for recognition issues as to whether changes can be recognized
If the courses to be recognized at the University of Graz also change:
- Application for a new pre-recognition notification (VB) in UNIGRAZonline
- If necessary, submit changes to person in charge of recognition (e.g. head of curricular committee)
After the stay
Here you will find a checklist of things you need to do after completing your stay.
You have to
- have your academic performance recognized
- upload documents such as the transcript from your host university, the confirmation of stay, the letter of recognition and the experience report in Mobility Online
- and instruct the repayment of their previously paid deposit or the payment of the last scholarship installment